This is a part of an on-going blog series of a bigger project “Modern Makeover”. The last couple of weeks was defining what areas of this Marietta home could be updated, within budget. The bathroom is well underway in the shopping phase!
The master bedroom furniture is high on the list of things to do. The cheerful style of this homeowner is stifled with the 1970’s ensemble! While the quality has stood the test of time, somethings are just meant to be passed on, or donated after 25 years 🙂
The window treatments are fairly new, so they will be kept. They have a delicate trim of mother of pearl down one edge. The bedding will be kept, and likely the lamps too.
They frequently watch television from the leather chairs at the foot of the bed. Keepers 🙂
Anyone else having a flash back from a scene at the Brady house? 🙂
Artwork is delightfully fun throughout the home. No new items on the shopping list at this time.
Considering there is limited choices for quality modern styled furniture in the Atlanta area, I presented 2 different packages for the client’s consideration.
The homeowner quickly narrowed down the selections to what favored the most. Buying a dresser, night stands and armor that match perfectly wasn’t so much the struggle as simply finding a ready made units that had finishes (and a price) to her liking. Today’s trends lean towards very dark, espresso like, to natural wood tones with little or no stain colors. Neither appealing to the homeowner, nor the wood floors in the bedroom.
Below are the selections she narrowed down to. One added consideration is to have a little, or all of the furniture custom made within Designs by BSB private label cabinetry. The question and debate … what combination? Mix with ready made pieces?
- No dark wood
- The lady of the house loves the mirrored accents, he does not
- Armoire with tall doors, drawers/organization to be hidden behind the doors
- Doors need to pocket, or preferably just swing 180 degrees
- Tall headboard (78″ tall) – fabric. No leather, no microfiber or suede
- Night stands need 2 drawers
- At least one piece needs to be fun/interesting! Armoire?
- Ceiling fan in the bedroom needs to have a light.
- Ceiling fan for the living room – no light. Rarely used, but I suggested she try to use it more for better air flow to lower the heating/cooling bills.
Next step? Need to step back and work on the selections for the kitchen and master bath. In order to begin construction on the bathroom (or any room for that matter), everything must be chosen and budgeted in order to make a financially sound decision.
So how about that kitchen… what can we do to spruce it up to flow with the modern style… stay tuned!